Friday, November 25, 2005

Skipping Christmas










Dear Rachel,

It's a beautiful, balmy day in Lincoln. We've just hit 60 degrees and the sun is shining. Of course this means that all across the city people are outside taking advantage of the unseasonable weather and getting their Christmas decorations up before the snow arrives (tomorrow night). Rod and I puttered in the yard, raking leaves, cutting back perennials, ran the lawnmower (to drain the gas tank), and topped off our windshield wiper fluid tanks. I think we're basically ready for winter, but we're definitely not ready for Christmas. I have no desire to put up lights or wreaths or garland. I wasn't planning to put the tree up, but Amy would like to see the inside of the house decorated. She said it's going to be a very hard Christmas without you (and Shaylyn) here, but it'd be even worse if we ignored the whole thing. I suppose she has a point, but today as I see our neighbors out on ladders, cheerfully calling out to one another, I'd just as soon leave everything boxed up until next Christmas when the pain isn't (hopefully) quite so intense.


I have no idea what I'll do when I open the storage container that holds our stockings....

Love,


Les

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home